Mentoring Resources for Mentee
A mentee is motivated and takes responsibility for his/her own professional development and growth. Mentees respect and value their relationships with mentors.
- Be receptive to feedback and mentoring
- Be willing to assess educational and individual needs
- Be proactive in career development
- Be willing to commit time and energy to the relationship
- Observe the rules of confidentiality
- Take a proactive role in shaping up the relationship
- Understand what you want from the mentoring relationship and communicate your goals and aspirations to your mentor.
- Set aside time for the mentoring process and keep all scheduled appointments with your mentor.
- Put the time with mentor to the best use.
- Respond in a timely manner to your mentor’s feedback. Respond to emails from your mentor at most two days after receipt.
- Be open and honest with your mentor about your challenges and weaknesses.
- If something concerning the mentor needs to be discussed with others, it should first be discussed with the mentoring relationship.
- Be considerate of your mentor’s time.
- Show appreciation for every form of assistance your mentor gives you.
- Ask for advice on everything. Have a purpose in each request.
- Blame the mentor if his/her advice doesn’t work out.
- Expect the mentor to know all the answers.
- Commit yourself to obligations you cannot keep.
- Cancel meetings with your mentor at the last time.
- Talk negatively about your mentor behind his/her back.